Long-time fans are ecstatic at the announcement of Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines 2. So is OnlySP, so we have gathered all the information that we know about the long-awaited sequel.
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 will be a direct sequel to its predecessor but will move the action from Los Angeles to Seattle.
Brian Mitsoda, writer and director of both the first Bloodlines and this sequel, said of the change, “Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 is a reflection of modern Seattle and within it we’ve built a rich mythology based on the city’s history and present, filtered through the lens of the World of Darkness. You will stalk these streets, you will meet its power players, and you will claw and charm your way into the inner circle of Kindred society.”
Within the game, the player will choose a clan and enter an uneasy alliance with one of multiple competing factions. Supernatural powers will be at the player’s fingertips as they move through a world that reacts to their actions. However, users should be mindful of the rules of the Masquerade: the laws of secrecy that keep the vampire society hidden from humans.
The narrative will begin with a vampire attack titled the ‘Mass Embrace’. At present, little is known about the massacre, other than the fact that it was an unsanctioned attack. This uncertainty sends the factions into a bloody feud and plunges the status quo into chaos.
The player will assume the role of a human turned during the attack and become a key witness to the inquest. Tensions between factions are high as the player is abruptly thrown into the ruthless and unforgiving politics of vampires.
The game is in development at Hardsuit Labs, which previously worked on Blacklight: Retribution. Rated average across the board, Blacklight: Retribution was named “a good option for anyone looking for a new competitive shooter” by IGN. The studio has not worked any other notable titles, but the team that has been bolstered holds promise.
The Hardsuit Labs team currently comprises 60 people, with a fresh mix of veterans and juniors in the industry, including founders Andy Kipling and Russ Nelson, creative director Ka’ai Cluney, writer and director from the first game Brian Mitsoda, and game writer and critic Cara Ellison.
In February 2016, Bloodlines 2 was pitched by Cluney and Mitsoda to Paradox Interactive.
Mitsoda claims, “We walked out of the room confident that all parties were energised about the idea.” He then goes on to say, “Our aim has been to carry on the signature themes that made Bloodlines unique—particularly its dark tone, atmosphere, and humour—and I think that fans of the original will love what we’re doing with Bloodlines 2.”
The game is confirmed to have the following features:
- Immersion and Player Choice: The player will immerse themselves in the World of Darkness, meeting new and returning characters.
- Combat System: The player will pick unique weapons in a fast moving, first person, melee focused combat system. Their powers will grow as the player advances through the story.
- Descend into Seattle’s Dark Heart: Seattle has always been run by vampires. Hunt prey across Seattle locations faithfully reimagined in the World of Darkness.
- Survive the Vampire Elite: Meet the old blood founders present since the city’s birth and the new blood steering the tech money redefining the city.
- Enter into Uneasy Alliances: Choose a side among competing factions, each with their own unique traits and stories, in the war for Seattle’s blood trade. The world will judge you by the company you keep, but remember no one’s hands stay clean forever.
- Mod support
Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines 2 is confirmed to be coming to PC and Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. The game will not be an Epic Store exclusive, and is set to release for Steam, GOG and the Paradox Store in 2020.