Sledgehammer Games believes the studio has made the right decision to develop Call of Duty: WWII instead of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2.
Speaking to Trusted Reviews, studio head Michael Condrey said creating a sequel to 2014’s Advanced Warfare would have been a “natural” move, but the team decided otherwise based on trend predictions. According to Condrey, “fans wouldn’t be as excited” if Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2 was released this year. With each Call of Duty game undergoing a three-year development cycle, predicting the trends and state of the industry was crucial. “I think the most interesting and challenging part of those conversations is trying to predict where the industry is going to be in three years,” said Condrey.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare marked the series’s departure from its boots-on-the-ground gameplay, equipping players with futuristic weaponry and high-tech suits that enable one to double jump and wall-run. Last year’s entry, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, polarized fans and critics after it propelled players far into the future and introduced low-gravity shootouts and space dogfights.
As for the studio’s next game, Sledgehammer Games will only start thinking about its plans after Call of Duty: WWII releases. “I think we’ll need that same discipline and rigour around what comes next. Certainly we love doing the historicals. Certainly we love doing World War II, it’s something we’re very passionate about.”
Call of Duty: WWII launches on November 3, 2017 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.