The developer behind the music games Rock Band and Guitar Hero, Harmonix, are trying something different by making a combat based game.
An ad was posted on Gamasutra’s board saying it’s looking for a combat designer “to create real-time, single-player combat experiences for a brand new IP on next-generation hardware. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute creatively to the studio and work on a project that is unlike anything Harmonix has ever done before.”
John Drake of Harmonix was quoted in saying to Eurogamer
“In addition to finishing development on Rock Band Blitz and Dance Central 3, Harmonix is actively developing multiple new IPs on next generation hardware. We’re looking for the best and most experienced devs out there to join us… Harmonix is making new kickass IPs, some portion of which may have some combat.”
Below are some of things the new combat designer will be doing at Harmonix:
- Work with developers across disciplines to develop the core loop of our single-player combat gameplay.
- Set a high quality bar for combat components: including physics, AI, camera, interface, and audio-visual effects.
- Design and tune combat skills and abilities; overseeing creation of robust combat AI systems for minor and major combat encounters.
- Implement key combat abilities, mechanics, AI and encounters at the script level, from development prototypes through to shipping content.
- Maintain vision for combat at both micro level (single encounter) and macro level (skill and enemy progression, evolving variety and depth, rewards for mastery).
- Work with lead designer, project lead and production team to set combat team priorities, manage product backlog, and ensure that feature ships complete and within scope.
- Advocate for a fun, deep and accessible combat experience, working closely with the user experience team.
- Assist with systems design and scripting tasks as needed.